Follow the steps below to get up and running with Yeoman on Windows system.
Install Ruby tools
Many Yeoman generators come with SASS and to use SASS you should have Ruby. So to install Ruby:
- Go to http://rubyinstaller.org/ , and download and run the installer
- During installation if installer gives you the option to add Ruby to your PATH
- Open Command prompt
- Check Ruby version to confirm that Ruby path is set.
If this command fails, make sure that path of your Ruby installation is added to environment variables or not. If path is not set (for Ruby), add the path manually. To finalize this part of installation, go on and:
- Install bundler:
gem install bundler
- Install compass:
gem install compass
- Download Git for Windows from http://git-scm.com/
- Run the installer and make sure Git is also in your PATH
Install node dependencies
- Install NodeJS from http://nodejs.org/. Make sure you check the option add path to environment variables while installing.
- Open Command Prompt
- Install bower:
npm install -g bower
- Install grunt-cli:
npm install -g grunt-cli
- Install yeoman:
npm install -g yo
You can do all the above steps (except installing nodejs) in one command as well.
npm install -g bower grunt-cli yo generator-angular
Now you have everything you need to run Yeoman.